Our website is set to allow the use of cookies. For more information and to change settings click here. If you are happy with cookies please click "Continue" or simply continue browsing. Continue.

International Family Law

The leading authority on international family law

30 NOV 2012

India - Tied up in legal knots

Anil Malhotra*

For a Hindu marrying a foreign non-Hindu and seeking permanent settlement abroad, it's rigmarole of legal tangles. Foreign missions deem such marriages registered under the Special Marriage Act invalid. The modalities of conversion are not any easier.

Foreign embassies and diplomatic missions in India decline to process permanent settlement visa applications of local grooms who wish to migrate to foreign jurisdictions after having married a foreign non-Hindu national under the Hindu Marriage Act (HMA) 1955, and getting the marriage registered under the Special Marriage Act (SMA) 1954, in India.

The reason for such a refusal by a foreign mission is clear. Only two Hindus by religion can marry under the HMA in accordance with the customary rites and ceremonies of either party thereto. Hence, a Hindu by religion cannot solemnise a ceremonial marriage with a non-Hindu in India who does not profess the Hindu faith or religion.

International Family Law

International Family Law

The practice title for family lawyers engaged in/dealing with issues European and worldwide

Available in Family Law Online

International Family Law Practice, The


Provides comprehensive coverage of the international elements of English family law

More Info from £199.00
Available in Family Law Online
Subscribe to our newsletters