All your resources at your fingertips.Learn More
The Ministry of Justice has announced that Mr Registrar Simmonds retired on the 31 January 2011 as a Bankruptcy Registrar. Registrar Simmonds, who is now 71 years old, was admitted as a Solicitor in 1968. He was appointed as a Deputy Bankruptcy Registrar in 1991, and as a Bankruptcy Registrar on 1 February 1993. His is perhaps best known outside bankruptcy circles for being knocked to the floor during a bankruptcy hearing in 2002. The notable cases in which he gave judgment in recent years include:
• Townsend v Biscoe Chancery Division (Companies Court) 10 August 2010
• Tomlinson v Harrington  BPIR. 331;  2 P. & C.R. DG3
• Stone v Vallance  BPIR 236
• Lambeth LBC v Simon  BPIR. 1629
• Dubai Aluminium Co Ltd v Salaam  BPIR. 690
• Klamer v Kyriakides & Braier (A Firm)  BPIR 1142
• Ballard (Deceased), Re  BPIR 149
Mr Registrar Simmonds also wrote on the subject publishing "Use and abuse of statutory demands" (L.S.G. 1992, 89(26), 18) in the Law Society Gazette in 1992. If Mr Registrar Simmonds finds himself at a loose end he is an eminently well qualified candidate to fill the lacuna in debt advice that is about to occur. Alternatively he can now relax in the garden!
"BPIR is an excellent series, of interest to both corporate and personal insolvency lawyers,...