09 OCT 2006
Children's Commissioner Annual Report
The Office of the Children's Commissioner's (OCC) first Annual Report (HC 1278) has been published. The OCC is an independent organisation that was set up by Parliament as part of the Children Act 2004. It looks after the interests and acts as the voice of children and young people by:
- exposing issues informed by children and young people themselves;
- provoking and facilitating quality discussion and debate;
- influencing the public, parents, carers and politicians through effective advocacy; particularly through the media;
- informing and scrutinising government policy;
- holding organisations to account;
- celebrating and promoting the participation of children and young people.
The OCC is focusing on eight themes:
- children and young people in society;
- tackling discrimination;
- youth justice and antisocial behviour;
- asylum seeking and immigration;
- vulnerable children;
- disabled children and young people;
- the health and wellbeing of children and young people.
The report is available on https://www.childrenscommissioner.org/.