Our website is set to allow the use of cookies. For more information and to change settings click here. If you are happy with cookies please click "Continue" or simply continue browsing. Continue.

Family Law

The leading authority on all aspects of family law

21 AUG 2013

Mediated agreements, arbitral awards and the consent order

David Burrows, Solicitor Advocate

Where parties reach agreement after relationship breakdown they may want to obtain a court order, whether over children or money; or they may be advised to seek an order (eg a clean-break settlement on divorce). There is no clear free-standing means to seek court approval of agreements or arbitral awards, save where existing court proceedings are settled or following divorce. Such means as there are of applying to the court are summarised here. The issue of whether a mediator who agrees terms between parties can settle a consent order is touched upon. And can mediators help in any way with case management agreements? The Ministry of Justice are urged to look at where free-standing consent order applications can be encouraged with minimal procedural formality; and to incorporate new procedural arrangements in the new unified family court.

The full version of this article appears in the September 2013 issue of Family Law.    



Financial Remedies Handbook

Financial Remedies Handbook

Formerly entitled the Ancillary Relief Handbook this is the first resort for thousands of...

Available in Lexis®Library


Law, Practice and Precedents

This work provides commentary, checklists, procedural guides and precedents on the subject in a...