The Brown BookUnder the Editorship of His Honour Judge Graeme Smith, the Brown Book provides concise, relevant commentary to practitioners who need fast and reliable answers to procedural matters in the civil courts.
Published annually, with supplements, the Brown Book comprises:
- Procedural Guides - Step-by-step guides to court applications and procedures, with references to applicable rules, statutory provisions, case-law and fees.
- CPR and Practice Directions - Each Part of the CPR contains a General Introduction comprising an Overview of the Part, significant recent developments, and details of the relevant Procedural Guides and court forms, together with detailed commentary on the rules.
- Pre-Action Protocols - Full text of all Pre-Actions Protocols with expert commentary.
- Court Guides - Full text of all relevant court guides.
- Fees - Full text of the latest fees orders.
- Statutory Materials - Related statutory materials, including a comprehensive section of housing statutes with commentary.
The service is supported by Supplements and a Newsletter which keep you abreast of the latest developments throughout the year.
Available in print, eBook and online
Features of online service
- New Interim Commentary added every fortnight
You needn't worry about the commentary becoming out of date, it won't, our editorial team constantly monitor the changes that are occurring with both the Rules and the latest case-law. So, in addition to the commentary as it stands in the book, there is additional annotation added to the text every fortnight.
- Email Alerts
All updates are consolidated in the Brown Book CPR Alerter email service, which occurs fortnightly.
- Hyper-text Links within the Interim Commentary to case-law cited
Not only do we tell you about the latest civil procedure case-law, we include the full text of the case transcripts as well, where available. Each Interim Comment links to the relevant case transcript as soon as it is available.
- Case Archive of CPR decisions
This searchable database offers a valuable full text archive of all the post-1999 decisions cited in the annotations of the Rules. Recent cases are added throughout the year.
- Continuously Updated Consolidated Legislation
The consolidated legislation database has over 90 statutes and a further 21 Statutory Instruments.
The Right Honourable Lord Justice LawsGeneral EditorHis Honour Judge Graeme Smith
Bolton Crown Court Contributors
District Judge Michael Anson
His Honour Judge Allan Gore QC
District Judge Janet Lambert
Eloise Le Santo
His Honour Judge Abbas Mithani QC
District Judge Tim Parker
District Judge Anesh Pema
District Judge Michael Walker CBE
L J West-Knights QC